Our Commitment to Privacy
The Data We Collect
Information You Provide
Our websites and mobile apps provide convenient ways for you to access our services and learn about important Share Our Strength opportunities and events, including the No Kid Hungry Campaign and Cooking Matters. You are welcome to make use of the content on the Sites without providing certain personal information. However, if you use certain features on the Sites, such as the “Contact Us” feature, or when you submit an application for a position with us, you will be required to provide personal information. We may also collect information you provide through other contexts. For example, if you choose to make donations, get involved as a volunteer, attend events, request information, receive an action alert, apply for a grant, use our mobile text messaging service, or similar activities, you will need to provide certain personal information such as name, address, telephone number, email address, user name or other descriptive information. We also collect financial account information you provide us, such as credit card number or banking information. when you make donations or pay to attend events.
Information You Share Publicly Through the Site
Our Sites may create opportunities for you to share information with others through message boards, blogs, apps, etc. Please remember any information you disclose in these areas becomes public information. Therefore, please exercise discretion in deciding what information to post or share.
Information About Your Use of the Site
When you use the Sites, we automatically receive and record certain information from your computer (or other device) and your browser. This may include such data as your IP address and domain name, the pages you visit on the Sites, the date and time of your visit, the files that you download, the URLs from the websites you visit before and after navigating to the Site, your software and hardware attributes (including device IDs), your general geographic location (e.g., your city, state, or metropolitan region), and certain cookie information (see below). To obtain such information, we may use web logs or applications that recognize your computer and gather information about its online activity.
Web beacons. The Sites or the emails that you receive from usmay use an application known as a “web beacon” (also known as a “clear gif” or “web bug”). A web beacon is an electronic file that usually consists of a single-pixel image. It can be embedded in a web page or in an email to transmit information, which could include personal information. For example, it can allow an email sender to determine whether a user has opened a particular email.
Third-party online tracking and behavioral advertising. We also may partner with certain third parties to collect, analyze, and use some of the personal and other information described in this section. For example, we may allow third parties to set cookies or use web beacons on the Sites or in email communications from us. This information may be used for a variety of purposes, including online interest-based advertising, as discussed below.
Information From Third Parties
How We Use Personal Information
We use the information that we collect for a variety of purposes. These purposes include, for example, to:
- Provide you with our Services;
- Respond to your questions or requests concerning the Services;
- Fulfill the terms of any agreement you have with us;
- Process an application, such as an employment application;
- Send you information about our Services and other topics that are likely to be of interest to you, including newsletters, updates, or other communications, including promotional emails;
- Deliver confirmations, account information, notifications, and similar operational communications;
- Improve your user experience and the quality of our products and Services;
- Comply with legal and/or regulatory requirements;
- Aggregate and deidentify information;
- Benchmark results for our customers;
- Serve advertisements;
- Analyze how visitors use the Services and various Services features, including to count and recognize visitors to the Services;
- Create new products and Services; and
- Manage our business.
Share Our Strength may link information gathered through the Sites with information that we collect in other contexts. But in that event, we will handle the combined information in a manner consistent with this Policy.
Personal Information We May Share
We may share the personal information we collect with our affiliates, partners, sponsors, other non-profits or select other third-parties. We also may share personal information with service providers who assist us in activities such as technology, analytics, communications management or to otherwise provide a service to us. To see the specific SMS terms of our free meal finder service, please click here.
From time to time, Share Our Strength may also share aggregated information about Sites users, such as by publishing a report on trends in the usage of the Sites. Such aggregated information will not identify you personally.
We also may use or share your information with third parties when we believe, in our sole discretion, that doing so is necessary:
- To comply with applicable law or a court order, subpoena, or other legal process;
- To investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, violations of our terms and conditions, or situations involving threats to our property or the property or physical safety of any person or third party;
- To establish, protect, or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims; or
- To facilitate the financing, securitization, insuring, sale, assignment, bankruptcy, or other disposal of all or part of our business or assets.
Social Plug-In Data
The Sites may use interfaces with social media websites like Facebook, Google, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram or others. If you use these to access interfaces to login or to share information about your experience on the Sites with others, we may collect information from these third-party services. In addition, the interfaces may allow the social media website to connect your visit of the Sites to your personally identifiable information.
If you want to learn more about the personal information that Share Our Strength has about you, or you would like to update, change, or delete that information, please contact us by email at email@example.com.
You may opt out of receiving marketing emails or receiving text messages from us by following the instructions in those emails or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a resident of the EU, UK, California, or another jurisdiction with an applicable privacy law, you may have certain rights available to you. These rights may include:
- The right to be informed about our data collection practices;
- The right to access and rectify your data;
- The right to erase or delete your data;
- The right to data portability;
- The right to restrict and object to the processing of your data (including for direct marketing purposes);
- The right to opt out of the sale of your information;
- The right to opt-out of marketing emails and text messages;
- The right to limit our use of any automated decision-making processes;
- The right to lodge a complaint to your local data protection authority; and
- The right to withdraw consent (to the extent applicable).
To exercise any of the rights listed above, please contact us via email at email@example.com. We will respond to your request as soon as reasonably possible but no longer than 30 days.
Please note that we are legally required to internally retain records related to donations made for a period of time, so we cannot delete your name upon request. Instead, we flag records internally so we can honor no-solicitation requests by suppressing messages as requested.
We encourage donors who wish to reduce the amount of unwanted mail and/or have their names removed from other mailing lists to contact the Direct Marketing Association (DMA) to enroll in the DMA’s program to help control the mailings they will receive.
We employ physical, technical, and administrative procedures to safeguard the personal information we collect online. However, no website is 100% secure, and we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to the Sites or to us, and you transmit such information at your own risk.
The information that we collect through or in connection with the Sites is transferred to and processed in the United States for the purposes described above. Share Our Strength also may subcontract the processing of your data to, or otherwise share your data with, affiliates or third parties in the United States or countries other than your country of residence. The data-protection laws in these countries may be different from, and less stringent than, those in your country of residence. By using the Sites or by providing any personal or other information to us, you expressly consent to such transfer and processing.
Share Our Strength
1030 15th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005